Monday, April 28, 2014

Mini (Glazed) Orange Angel Food Cakes

A home return with a great bargain from my impromptu visit to Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores and a cake flour brand awareness during my grocery shopping yesterday topped with my "anyhow-click" web browsing this afternoon came together and led to this baking post. Although I've always been telling my husband that baking is about investing (in good bakeware and tools), which is also my way of coaxing him into buying things I need for my baking, I don't "splurge" for practical considerations. One obvious consideration is about fitting into my luggage when I am returning to Singapore and another basic consideration is the variety of uses. But the bubbles of considerations were immediately burst by a 40% discount on any single regular-priced item, which also made my wish come true. (Oh yes, I have simple wishes.) Now I finally have a (4-cavity mini) angel food cake pan, also known as chiffon tube pan. And what I actually meant by my "anyhow-click" web browsing was my aimless clicking through blogs for no particular search of recipes when I chanced upon a cooking/baking family-oriented event named, "Little Thumbs Up"organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and her friend, Doreen from my little favourite DIY. So here's what I have made from my one day old bakeware for Little Thumbs Up April: Orange!.

Mini (Glazed) Orange Angel Food Cakes

I am submitting this post to the event, Little Thumbs Up (April 2014: Orange) organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal.


Mini (Glazed) Orange Angel Food Cakes
Recipe referenced and modified from: King Arthur Flour
Makes 4

Ingredients Required

Cake
1/3 cup cake flour, sifted
1/2 cup superfine sugar, divided
1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange rind (zest)
4 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Glaze
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, plus excess (if necessary).

Bakeware Used

4-cavity mini angel food pan

Preparation Steps

Cake
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, 2/3 portion of sugar and orange zest. Set dry ingredients aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine and beat egg whites, salt and orange extract using an electric mixer until the mixture becomes frothy.
  4. Sprinkle the cream of tartar on top and continue beating. Slowly add the remaining 1/3 portion  of sugar and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
  5. Fold in the dry ingredients in two additions until well combined.
  6. Spoon the batter into the un-greased cavities of the mini angel food cake pan in equal portions. Alternatively, transfer batter into a piping bag and pipe batter into each cavity. Smooth the surface of the batter and gently tap the pan against the table top to eliminate any large bubbles.
  7. Bake the cakes for 20 to 22 minutes (baking time varies across ovens), or until the tops are golden brown and spring back when lightly touched.
  8. Remove the pan from the oven, and place it upside down on a cooling rack. Let the cakes cool for about an hour in the pan.
  9. When the cakes have cooled completely, remove the cakes by running a sharp knife around the sides and bottom of the pan.
  10. Pour the glaze over the tops of each cake and serve. 
Glaze
  1. Stir the ingredients together until the mixture becomes smooth and pourable. If mixture is still thick, add orange juice in small amount until desired consistency is reached.

The Dream Baker's Experiment
  1. The original source recipe yields 6 mini angel food cakes and I have used a 2/3 fractioned of the original ingredient quantities to fit my 4-cavity pan.
  2. I used egg whites from large eggs measuring approximately 59 grams each (with shell on) and the total egg whites used weighed approximately 143 grams. Note: Don't waste the egg yolks and stay tuned for my upcoming baking post that will put these egg yolks into use. 
  3. I placed the pan on the middle rack of the oven and baked them for 22 minutes.

To remove the cakes, first run the knife around the sides of the pan, then around the sides of the tube and finally the bottom of the pan.
My first attempt in glazing a cake. >,<
I know I can do better next time. But personally, I prefer to eat the "un-glazed" version. 

And it's tea-break time! ^_^

Dare to dream.
The Dream Baker

4 comments:

  1. WOW! I like the glazing on the orange cake. Definitely tastes very refreshing in every bite.
    Thank you for linking to this month LTU - Orange theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, you're right the taste is indeed refreshing! And I'm just as glad to make it in time for this month's LTU - Orange theme. Thank you so much for leaving a comment. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Glad that you like baking with us at LTU. Like you, I prefer un-glazed cake too but wouldn't mind eating the glazed ones too... Glutton me :p

    Very nice angel cakes :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, I'm glad that I found out about LTU too =) I'm sure when it comes to yummy food no one can resist. Thanks very much for commenting and your compliment. Looking forward to future LTU's theme events...

      Delete